This is my usual go-to recipe for granola, with a little twist because my favorite local chocolate company sent me some of their chocolate-covered nuts. I snacked on the hazelnuts and cashews, but saved the almonds for this recipe to add some extra crunch with some sweetness, too.
This is a quick and easy recipe for weekend mornings. Make a big batch and enjoy it sprinkled on top of yogurt or a smoothie bowl for breakfast. I like to sprinkle it on top of coconut yogurt with cherries and cinnamon (frozen are fine this time of year, just put them in a glass of warm water to thaw them real quick).
I use gluten-free oats from either Bob’s Red Mill if I need to pick the up last minute from the grocery store, or I order this 41 oz bag from GF Harvest (cheaper!). Oats are naturally gluten-free, but are often processed in facilities that also process wheat, so if you’re worried about cross contamination, definitely seek out certified GF brands.
If you’ve been following along, you know my love for cacao powder. Packed with antioxidants as well as anandamide––the bliss chemical! This is not the same thing as Hershey’s cocoa powder, which is heat processed, lowering the nutritional value and essentially inactivating all the raw cacao bean’s amazing benefits.
You can find cacao powder easily now at TJMaxx and Marshall’s (seriously!), but I use these brands as well. Prices fluctuate over on Amazon so I compare them before buying. All 1 lb:
- Terrasoul (organic and fair-trade)
- Viva Naturals (organic and fair-trade)
- Healthworks (organic, but not fair-trade)
- 1½ cups gluten-free oats⠀
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut⠀
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs⠀
- ¼ cup maple syrup⠀
- 2 tbsp cacao powder⠀
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil⠀
- 1 tsp vanilla⠀
- ½ cup Taza Chocolate-Covered Almonds
- Optional: dried cherries or dried cranberries*
- Preheat oven to 300*.⠀
- Add everything but the almonds and dried fruit, if using, into a medium bowl and stir to combine, making sure everything is coated well.⠀
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 30 minutes minutes, stirring with a spatula halfway through. It should feel just slightly damp.⠀
- Remove from oven and let cool. Stir in chocolate-covered almonds and dried fruit and enjoy!⠀