This episode is all about the most highly-requested topic from my listeners—all about your birth control options. We are lucky to have numerous avenues for contraception these days. However, they’re not all perfect, and not every option is suitable for every body. You’ll learn about long-term, short-term, hormonal and non-hormonal methods of birth control, as well as barrier methods, fertility awareness, and emergency contraception as well. I share the percentage of efficacy with perfect use and typical use along with the pros and cons of each method to help you decide the best option for your needs.
Disclaimer: This information in this episode, and in all episodes of The Lunar Body podcast, is for educational purposes only; it is NOT medical advice and it is your responsibility to speak to a qualified healthcare provider about your unique needs. The final decision when considering any diet, lifestyle change, or medical procedure, whether it’s discussed on the internet, in a podcast, or prescribed by your doctor, is always your own.
Referenced in this episode:
- The Team That Invented the Birth-Control Pill | The Atlantic
- Parsing the pill’s impact on women’s wages | U-M
- Birth control methods & options | Planned Parenthood
- Safety, efficacy and patient acceptability of the contraceptive and non-contraceptive uses of the LNG-IUS | International Journal of Women’s Health
- Research on effectiveness on fertility awareness methods
- FAM educator Lisa Hendrickson-Jack: The Fifth Vital Sign | Fertility Friday Podcast
If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to follow The Lunar Body podcast on Apple, Spotify, or wherever you listen to your podcasts. Love what you hear? Please share with your friends and leave a positive rating on Apple Podcasts so more amazing lunar feminists like you can find my show!