If you’re not riding the savory oatmeal train just yet, this recipe will hopefully get you on board!
Most people associate oats with the sugary flavor packets that come 12 in a box and heat up in the microwave. It’s time to expand your palate, my friend. Oats have a fairly neutral flavor that goes well with any variety of veggies (here’s one I made with mushrooms and tomatoes).
If you’re a maple & brown sugar person, you might be hesitant to go the opposite direction, but I think spinach-artichoke is a good baby step to take towards more savory versions for you in the future.
Don’t knock it ’til you try it, and let me know what you think 🙂
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 handful of spinach, chopped
- 1 artichoke heart, chopped
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- ½ cup oats
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter on medium-low heat in a small saucepan. Add spinach, artichoke, garlic, and a pinch of salt and saute until spinach is wilted, 1-2 minutes. Set aside in whatever bowl you're serving the oats in (less to clean!).
- Add broth to the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn down to a simmer and stir in oats. Cook on medium-low until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Drop an egg into the pan and quickly stir it into the oats until you don't see any more uncooked egg white sitting on the surface (~30 secs).
- Stir in as much cheese as you want and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.