Also known as Coconut Five Ways… this Coconut Baked Oatmeal is a satisfying breakfast for snow days, lazy days, and even brunch with friends. Totally meal preppable, of course, because I love to help you cook once and eat twice, thrice, and more throughout the week.
Why Five Ways? We’ve got coconut sugar, coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut flakes, and coconut extract!
Coconut is good brain fuel thanks to its healthy fat content (our brains are 60% fat!). Along with saturated fat (which is not as unhealthy as its purported to be when it comes from a quality source), coconut also contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) that your body utilizes more efficiently. This means you can better use them for energy, along with its other benefits of supporting metabolism and improving brain function.
If I’m really getting wild, I love to serve this with a sixth form of coconut — coconut cream! Or if I have some blueberry chia jam, it’s great with that too and super easy to make.
This recipe uses an egg, but if you’d like to make it vegan, you can mix 1 tbsp chia or ground flax with 3 tbsp water and let it sit until it gels up to an egg-like consistency (5-10 minutes) and use that instead.
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats⠀
- ¼ cup coconut sugar⠀
- 1 tsp cinnamon⠀
- 1 tsp baking powder⠀
- ½ tsp salt⠀
- ½ cup coconut milk⠀
- 1 egg (or flax/chia egg)⠀
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil⠀
- 1 tsp coconut extract⠀
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°.⠀
- Whisk oats, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl until well combined. Add milk, egg, coconut oil, and coconut extract and stir until combined. Fold in ¼ cup coconut flakes.⠀
- Pour batter into a loaf pan (I used 2 of Chrissy Tiegen's mini pie plates from Target).⠀
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until little to no crumbs remain on toothpick when pierced in the center. Top should be golden brown. If the top is golden and toasted but the center is not yet cooked, carefully place foil over the loaf pan until cooked.
- Let cool. Serve with fresh berries, my blueberry chia jam, and/or coconut yogurt.⠀