I fell into the “everything in my CSA is about to go bad” trap this week by agreeing to too many work and social activities, leaving me too wiped out for real cooking. Thus, I had overripe bananas and some bendy carrots (among other things) begging to be put to use.
You can experiment with the amount of maple syrup or honey in here, sometimes I find the bananas are sweet enough, but I suppose it depends what you slather on top! Feel free to add some coconut flakes and diced apple to make this more of a “morning glory” bread too.
I used brown rice flour and oats in place of regular all-purpose flour, and sprouted ground flax seed gelled with water in place of eggs. Extra protein, fat, and fiber—all things we need for a well-rounded breakfast. I suggest enjoying this bread slathered with Blueberry Chia Jam 😋
Sunday Morning Carrot-Banana Bread
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 6 tbsp water
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- ½ cup oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup shredded carrots (about 2 small carrots)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts + more for the top
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk ground flax and water until combined and let sit to gel for about 10 minutes.
- Mix together gelled flax, banana, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla (I used an immersion blender, but whisking well will be fine) in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in carrots and walnuts. Pour into a greased loaf pan, top with additional walnuts, and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely. Serve plain, or with ghee, butter, nut butter, or some blueberry chia jam.